Junior Golang Engineer
We build digital products and platforms for some of the largest global charities and fastest growing e-commerce brands.
Being a boutique development agency allows us the freedom to choose the projects we work on and fit these around the lifestyle of our team. The entire staff is based in the South East of England; however all of our engineering roles are now entirely remote. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
We are a small growing business and as such you will have an opportunity to shape the role around your strengths.
£25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits
About the Role
We're looking for a backend engineer to help design and build systems for our customers.
You’ll be working with the team on a variety of different projects, such as bespoke web applications, e-commerce integrations, and various internal tooling.
Most of these projects require building APIs, integrating with third party platforms and managing state within databases.
We primarily work in Go, so experience in this language would be preferred. However, we would consider teaching on the job if you meet the other criteria.
→ What You'll Do Everyday
- Develop backend systems and services for our customers and internal projects
- Test and review other team members code
- Participate in scoping sessions and meetings with key stakeholders
→ You should apply if
- You have experience working with strongly-typed languages (Go, Java, C, Scala etc.)
- You have experience with SQL databases, specifically PostgreSQL or CockroachDB
- You're comfortable working in a small team and an environment where things can change
Our tech stack
Cygnet uses a range of technologies to achieve our customers goals.
The backend applications we build consist of Go (with some legacy Node.js) which interact with a Cockroachdb database. We’ve used gqlgen.com, protobuf, Twirp, and OpenAPI across various projects to build API’s.
Next.js is our frontend framework of choice, mostly using GraphQL or RPC to connect to backend services.
We use various tooling to deploy and run the applications we build such as vercel.com, fly.io, and in some situations we use Kubernetes with a GitOps pipeline. Our Kubernetes clusters are monitored using Prometheus and Grafana Cloud. We strive to keep deploys fast, and as pain free as possible and have plans to improve this further.
If you think you might be a good fit for the team, please do get in touch with some background information. Typically we expect to see things such as a CV, example applications or projects you have worked, perhaps even a link to your Github. Feel free to send us an e-mail to clarify anything.
Applicants who meet our employment criteria will be invited to a 30 minute video interview, and your choice of a coding exercise:
- A take home exercise for you to do in your own time and at your own pace.
- A remote pair-programming exercise for 1 hour with a member of the team.
Both exercises will involve building out a simple backend service. These exercises will be tailored to each candidate based on their experience level.
- 30 days of paid holiday per year
- Maternity/Paternity leave
- Flexible working hours that suit you
- Home office setup with a Macbook Pro M1
We support full remote work from anywhere in the UK / Europe. We also have an office in London Gatwick, where we optionally meet for meetings and socialising.